Smoke Free Home
Protect babies and children from breathing in other people’s cigarette smoke (second hand smoke). Second hand smoke cause illness including asthma, heart disease and cancer. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 chemicals including ingredients of ant poison, rocket fuel and floor cleaner. These spread around the room and house even if the windows are open and you can’t see any smoke. Babies and children are most at risk from second hand smoke. If you smoke around your children, they can breathe in the equivalent of 150 cigarettes per year.
Many people are choosing to make babies and children safe by taking 7 steps outside away from the door to smoke – and asking their visitors to do the same. Keep your home smoke free to protect your babies, children, adults and pets.
Choose care at home if…
- If you live in Manchester, call Manchester Stop Smoking Service on 0161 205 5998.
- Call the national NHS Smokefree helpline on 0800 022 4 332 (open Mon to Fri 9am to 8pm, Sat and Sun 11am to 5pm)
- Chat to an adviser online – http://nhssh.essentiagroup.co.uk/visitor/EntryPage.htm
Choose your Pharmacist or GP if…
- You have tried to stop smoking before but have been unable to stay stopped
- Your pharmacist can help with nicotine replacement products
- Your GP may be able to prescribe nicotine replacement products or medication to reduce the cravings
Call 999 A&E if…
- There are no reasons why you should need to go to A&E for help with stopping smoking
- A&E is for urgent, life-threatening illness and injury